And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-11 NIV)
The Apostle Paul was praying this over the Philippian Church, but this was not only written to that body of believers! This letter was written to us as a whole, the body of Christ all over the world from one generation to the next. He prayed that their love would continue to grow, because as their love grows in knowledge and insight of a Gods love for them then their ability to love others with the God kind of Love will continue to deepen as well. There are so many scripture in the word of God talking about love; what is love, what does it look like, how do we love? The New Testament commandment is to love The Lord and love others…so how do we begin to operate in this love that God has given us?
We cannot give what we do not have. If we do not know the love of God for us, in and that is to flow through us to others then we will not be able to fulfill the New Testament commandment of love. The Apostle Paul was praying that our love would abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight…the word of God is inspired and and God breathed for edification, instruction, correction…so since these verses are in the bible clearly they are important for us to know!! When we allow the Holy Spirit to continue to reveal to us the Love of the Father for us and that has been shed abroad in our hearts our knowledge of His love for us will grow. I believe that when we have a strong foundation of His love it solves many problems in our lives. The bible says perfect love casts casts out all fear…fear comes in many forms, but when we know the love of God fear has no right to stay because His love reigns in our hearts and minds. We we understand His love for us, which honestly does not come over night it is a day to day walk with The Lord. We will begin to see His unfailing,unconditional love flow through us to others and the things that used to shake us before no longer shake us.
1. What is love? There are approximately 185 scriptures in the bible the the new and Old Testament referring to love…so I think it is necessary that we begin to get a greater revelation of His love.
To understand love, we have to know the source of love. There are many scriptures in the bible that talk about love. It is one thing to know in our mind what love is, but another to experience the love of Christ for ourself and then be able to share it with others.
– the characteristics of the love of God are described all through out the bible: His faithfulness, selflessness, strength, commitment, because God is love, He has made a way for us to know His love through Jesus, His love satisfies like no other earthly love can.
2. What does love look like?
– Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8 NIV)
– And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. (Romans 5:5 NIV)
– Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-39 NIV)
– For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16 NIV)
– “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34, 35 NIV)
– “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (Matthew 5:43, 44 NIV)
3. How do we operate in the love of God?
There is power in knowledge and in Ephesians 3:17 Paul prayed that we would be rooted deep and established in the love of God. When His love becomes more real to us than anything we will not be moved by what happens in life, because we have confidence and an expectation that greater is He that is in us, than He that is in the World, because the love of God never fails I am more than a. Conqueror through Christ Jesus! His love in me causes me to be patient and kind, not to be envious or boil over with jealousy, I am not fretful, I do no pt rejoice at injustice , but I rejoice when right and truth prevail, Gods love in me causes me to bear up under anything and everything that comes, His love in me causes me to believe the best of every person and His love in me causes me to never fail! Having a solid and accurate revelation of His love will remove all trace of religiousness, and our ability to strive for more…because in Him we live, move and have our being and in Him, in Christ I have access to the throne room of God and I can come boldly into His presence!
Father in the mighty name of Jesus, I thank you for word that is alive, living and active in our lives! I ask you Holy Spirit to open the eyes of our hearts and continue to give us revelation of the love that God has for us! Faith in Him grows by hearing the Word, so stir a hunger in our hearts for a deeper, intimate knowledge of your love for us so we can accurately represent who you are to the world…because it is Your love, Your goodness that brings people to You Father! Help us a Holy Spirit to stay grounded, rooted and deeply established in your unfailing love for us…to be a people who are recognized by our love as children of God. To be a people of character, honesty, integrity, to walk in the love 1corinthians 13 talks about! I thank you Holy Spirit for working in us and flowing through us, in the mighty name of Jesus, Amen. So be it.