Scripture: 2 Peter 1:3-9
3For His divine power has bestowed upon us all things that [are requisite and suited] to life and godliness, through the [[d]full, personal] knowledge of Him Who called us by and to His own glory and excellence (virtue).
4By means of these He has bestowed on us His precious and exceedingly great promises, so that through them you may escape [by flight] from the moral decay (rottenness and corruption) that is in the world because of covetousness (lust and greed), and become sharers (partakers) of the divine nature.
5For this very reason, [e]adding your diligence [to the divine promises], employ every effort in [f]exercising your faith to develop virtue (excellence, resolution, Christian energy), and in [exercising] virtue [develop] knowledge (intelligence),
6And in [exercising] knowledge [develop] self-control, and in [exercising] self-control [develop] steadfastness (patience, endurance), and in [exercising] steadfastness [develop] godliness (piety),
7And in [exercising] godliness [develop] brotherly affection, and in [exercising] brotherly affection [develop] Christian love.
8For as these qualities are yours and increasingly abound in you, they will keep [you] from being idle or unfruitful unto the [[g]full personal] knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
Peter was writing to us, inspired by the Holy Spirit to encourage us to always continue growing up and maturing in our relationship with the Lord…knowing more about Him, His character and also who we are because we are in Him. God has given us all that we need for life and Godliness, but what does that mean, and what does that look like? How can we live a life expressing who God is in us and for other people experience the love of God manifested and recognized through us? This is how we can:
1.Diligence : When we pursue the Lord, we find out more of who He is and who we are in Him… to be diligent means to be intentional in what we are doing!
2. Faith: By being diligent to find out who God is and who we are in Him our faith is being built, because faith comes by hearing and hearing of the Word of God.
3.Virtue: Living a life of virtue means to live a life of excellence, not settling for anything less than your best. But that comes by being intentional about being diligent in finding out who we are in Him, because that builds our faith.
4. Knowledge: Knowledge comes when we ask God for it! He will give us wisdom beyond our own understanding and beyond our own years, if we ask! Walking in wisdom is essential to living a successful life!
5. Self Control: Self control comes by putting “the flesh under” not giving into all the desires of the body. Being successful in self control is founded on being diligent, walking in faith and not by sight, living a life with virtues and excellence and having knowledge will cause us to have victory in this area.
6. Patience: This is a fruit of the Spirit… love, joy, peace, kindness…PATIENCE…when we are walking in love we are able to walk in patience, which is steadfastness and endurance.
7. Godliness: Meaning that we have reverence and respect for God. Giving Him first place in all things, because ultimately because of Him and His ability in us we will live a life of diligence, faith, virtue, knowledge, self control and patience!
8. Christian love: The love of God has been shed abroad in our hearts, and perfect love casts out all fear…so because of the love of God in us we are able to love people the way God does. It is the love of Go that draws all men unto Him and when we live a life full of love and compassion that is what draws people unto Him!!
By recognizing the areas in our life that need improvement or development, we are able to continue growing! So by developing diligence, faith, virtue, knowledge, self control, patience, Godliness and Christian love we are ultimately able to express the love of our heavenly Father which will draw people unto Him, by our life!! How amazing is that!!
Father in the mighty name of Jesus, I ask that you would help us to recognize the areas in our lives that need more development! Ultimately our desire is to become more like you… you are a God who stands true to Your Word and Your Character, Your loving kindness and mercy are renewed every day! So father we draw from you, I ask God that you would continue to help us to be a people of diligence, faith, virtue, knowledge, self control, patience, Godliness and to love people with Your love that is on the inside of us!! Thank you God for helping us to live a successful life and being who You have called us to be!! I love you Lord! I declare these things so, in Jesus name, Amen and so be it!!